Key Updates on software_DNA
PayMotion eCommerce can now be connected to software_DNA to automate the fulfilment and delivery of License Activation Codes.
The PayMotion Connector supports all our capabilities and licensing options including advanced capabilities such as:
- Subscription Licenses - managed by PayMotion and connected to software_DNA for License Fulfillment, cancellations, renewals, etc...
- Software Maintenance Plans - offer plans that allow Free or discounted upgrades for SMP subscribers
The PayMotion Connector Integration Guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to set-up the integration and is available for download in the Documentation section of the DNA Control Panel.
PayPal Subscriptions are now supported by our PayPal Connector.
Use PayPal’s Subscribe and UnSubscribe hosted buttons and our updated PayPal Connector to fully automate the License Fulfillment and lifetime management of the License Activation Code.
Subscription Licensing for desktop/laptop software applications is an evolving trend in the industry and is now supported by many of our eCommerce Connectors.
- When a new Subscription is created in PayPal, software_DNA will automatically issue a License Code to your customer.
- During the lifetime of the PayPal Subscription, software_DNA will authenticate / validate the License
- When a Subscription is cancelled by PayPal (either by the user, or for no payment, ...) , software_DNA will revoke that License Code automatically.
For implementation details, download the new PayPal eCommerce Integration Guide from the "Resources -> Documentation" menu.
We have completely revamped our pricing to simplify it, and introduce a Volume Discount for when your Sales start gaining momentum.
Key changes include:
- Simple two tier structure with Standard and Enhanced Licenses.
- Fees are no longer based on the Protection Level, so you can choose the most appropriate Validation / Protection Level for your product for the same fees
- Our fees have been capped by eliminating the % Fee above the $500 Retail price point
- A Volume Discount is introduced, applied monthly based on your Total Activation Fees for the month
New Registrations after November 1, 2016 will automatically use this new pricing grid.
Existing Vendors on November 1, 2016 have the option to remain on the previous pricing grid or move to this new pricing grid at anytime. Just let us know.
For complete information, please review our Pricing Policies in the ONLINE HELP.
software_DNA from softWORKZ, a secure software Licensing solution, now adds even greater flexibility for your software licensing needs with Floating Licenses.
Floating Licenses allows the installation and execution of your software application on multiple computers but will limit the number of concurrent users to the License "Seat" setting. For example, your application could be installed on 100 enterprise computers, but with a "Seat" setting of 5, only 5 concurrent users will be allowed.
Users can be located anywhere on the Internet, not just in a local LAN sub-network, ensuring that global enterprises, big and small, can use your Floating Licenses across their business.
With software_DNA, no need to install a "Floating License" server on the Enterprise network with all the subsequent support issues. software_DNA’s Floating License solution is hosted on our Servers and maintained 24/7 by our Tech Team.
License "Lease" approach
The software_DNA Floating License is based on our Multi-User License model combined with a License seat "Lease" approach, where the seat "Lease" automatically expires after a 2 days.
The "Lease" approach provides several benefits to the Users, including:
- If a User forgets to close the application, then the seat Lease will expire and automatically release the seat for other Users
- If a User’s computer crashes before the lease is de-activated (or the computer is lost or stolen), the seat Lease will expire and automatically release the seat for other users.
- During extraordinary events (ex: no internet connectivity to the DNA Servers), the current Users will continue to have access and use of the application for the "Lease" period (i.e. up to 2 days).
Seats can always be released immediately via the myLicense Portal/Manager and via the DNA Control Panel.
Documentation and Code Samples for implementing your Floating License product are available in the DNA Control Panel.
You can now connect software_DNA to the Avangate eCommerce and Payment processor solution, a "best-of-breed" eCommerce platform with extensive support for Subscription Licensing.
The Avangate Connector supports all our capabilities and licensing options including advanced capabilities such as:
- Subscription Licenses - managed by Avangate and connected to software_DNA for License Fulfillment, cancellations, renewals, etc...
- Software Maintenance Plans - offer plans that allow Free or discounted upgrades for SMP subscribers
The Avangate Connector Integration Guide is available for download in the Documentation section.
License Manager Emails can now be customized
The following can now be customized via the Product Configuration screen:
- License Code Password change from the License Manager
- License Code ADMIN Password change from the License Manager (for multi-user licenses)
- Resend License Code ADMIN Password
- License Code Email change from the License Manager
- Send License List to Email Address
These custom emails have been pre-filled with our existing standard messages. They can be edited using a full HTML editor to meet your needs.
License Manager for large multi-user licenses
For multi-user licenses with more than 15 seats, the License Manager has been enhanced to:
- show more seats in a scrollable list
- allow sorting by Computer Name or Activation Date, ascending or descending
- search/filter on the Computer Name of the seats.
Quick Access reporting and Codes In Lockout warning
On your DNA Control Panel Home Page, you will now see three(3) new buttons to access:
- Latest Activations - quick look on all the recent Activations for all of your software_DNA Products.
- Latest eCommerce - quick look on all the recent transactions received via the eCommerce Connectors for all your products.
- Codes in Lockout - if any User of your products is in Re-activation Lockout or in IP Lockout, click on this button to see the details and ability to reset the lockouts.
Display of eCommerce transactions
In the Code View screen, we have enhanced the display of the eCommerce transactions associated with the License Code:
- Subscription Licenses - there can be multiple eCommerce transactions associated with Subscription Licenses, such as initial fulfillment, renewals, and cancellations. All will now be displayed to show the history for this license code.
- Local Currency - For certain eCommerce Connectors,
pricing information is provided in the Purchaser's local currency. In these cases, the pricing information
is converted to USD currency based on the previous day's currency exchange rates. When the
local currency is not in USD, the local currency information will be displayed when viewing
the License Code information, and will be included in the Invoice Detail Report available for
download in the myAccount section of the DNA Control Panel.
At this time, both Avangate and PayProGlobal Connectors support local currency transactions.
Other DNA Control Panel enhancements
- IP Lockout per Product - The IP Lockout feature protects your software from hackers trying to "roll" License Codes and Passwords to find a valid combination. The IP Lockout is now product-specific, i.e. a User can trigger the IP Lockout for a specific software_DNA Product, but will not be locked out from using other software_DNA Products.
- Fee Calculator - you can now use the Fee Calculator in the Product Configuration screens for Subscription Licenses, and can now specify the Software Retail Price to be used by the calculator.
software_DNA from softWORKZ, a secure software Licensing solution, now adds even greater flexibility for your software licensing needs with Feature-Based Licensing.
Offer multiple bundles of application features and options at different price points to address the varying needs of your customers and to deliver them compelling price/value offerings. The Feature Data is stored in the User’s individual license and used to configure your application accordingly.
Offer Feature Upgrades to allow your customers to unlock the breadth of your application as their needs grow. And enjoy full connectivity to your Store-Front eCommerce solution for 24/7 automated operation with our multiple eCommerce partners.
softWORKZ, with more than a decade of experience in offering Digital Rights Management solutions, is uniquely capable of providing simple or complex software licensing solutions to meet your needs. From straightforward Single-User / Single-Computer licensing, to Multi-User Licensing for enterprise and institutional application licensing, software_DNA delivers a flexible, adaptable and user-friendly approach to software licensing.
Try us out by registering for a free, no obligation software_DNA account that lets you fully implement and evaluate the software_DNA solution in Testing Mode at no cost.
Connecting your eCommerce store front with your Software Licensing solution is a critical element if you plan to have a fully automated End-to-End fulfillment process. We have developed and tested integrations with multiple eCommerce solutions which now includes the PayPro Global eCommerce solution.
When our DNA Servers receive a purchase confirmation from the PayPro eCommerce system, an Activation Code is generated in real-time and then sent back to the PayPro eCommerce system and provided to your customer by PayPro in customizable emails.
Our connection also supports Subscription Licensing
For the utmost in flexibility, you can connect software_DNA with multiple eCommerce solutions simulaneously, and take advantage of their different offerings and increase the visibility of your products online.
Subscription Licensing for desktop / laptop software applications is an evolving trend in the industry and we are excited to introduce this option to software_DNA beginning with the FastSpring and the PayPro Global eCommerce solutions.
Subscription Licensing is defined as a license scheme requiring periodic payments (ex: monthly payments) to keep the software license active. If the periodic payments are stopped or the Susbcription is cancelled, then the software license is disabled. It’s an interesting alternative to a “perpetual” software license (i.e. the traditional one time purchase model) allowing you to keep in close touch with your customers, keeping them on the current upgrades and upsetting any new capabilities.
A Subscription Licensing offering requires the connection of two critial components:
- A secure Licensing solution for the software application to provide control over the subscription and protection from piracy (i.e. software_DNA)
- A Subscription Manager (i.e. eCommerce solution or store-front solution) to manage the financial side of the subscription (i.e. sign-up, payments, changes, cancellations)
We have now connected the FastSpring and PayPro Global Subscription Managers to software_DNA so that you can now define Subscription products and have the application fully protected by software_DNA:
- When a new Subscription is created, software_DNA will automatically issue a License Code back to FastSpring or PayPro for delivery to your customer
- When a Subscription is cancelled (either by the user, or for no payment, ...) , software_DNA will ban that License Code automatically
We’ll be rolling out subscription licensing support with other eCommerce solutions in the near future.
A complete revamp of the DNA Control Panel for improved License Management
- Streamlined Menu Organization
- ONLINE Help Panel with extensive help on a variety of Topics
- Pop-Up Help for in-context guidance
- Improved Global Search for License Codes
- Expanded Reporting capabilities, with more to come
- Ask Questions using TechSupport contact form
- Provide on the spot Feedback and suggestions using the Feedback form
Always accessible License information - free for your users - reduces your Customer Support
Users today are all overwhelmed with userid's, passwords, emails and serial no's / codes for accessing web sites and activating software applications. But it doesn't have to be the case for your software application.
The myLicense Portal is there to help your users recover their Activation Code or their Code password, anytime, themselves and at their convenience, without you having to answer another Support call or email. And for the life of their License Activation Code.
Using only their email address, they can receive all the information about the License Activation Code(s) assigned to that email. If they have the License Code, they can retrieve their password. If they have their code and password, they can change their email address assigned to the code as well as the password. For multi-seat licenses, the license code administrator can see details on the activated seats.
Generic or softWORKZ branded
We provide a generic version of the myLicense Portal ( i.e. no softWORKZ branding) which you can easily imbed in your web site using <iframe></iframe> tags, or you can use our default myLicense Portal page.
Free Service included in the Activation Fee
Some providers charge for cloud-based license storage ( ex: $5.00 for 3 years), but we have made the myLicense Portal included in the base Activation fees. So your users benefit, and you should also benefit from reduced customer support calls and emails.
Updated Email System and Tech Support Email
We have recently updated our Email delivery system to add DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) and SPF (Sender Policy Framework) to our Email Server. What this means is that you can now use your own domain in the custom email FROM fields instead of using "email@example.com". For example, using "firstname.lastname@example.org" will not cause the email to be rejected as SPAM. When your customers reply to those emails, the emails will return directly to you versus to softWORKZ
We have also added two new fields in the Account Information page : Tech Support Name and Tech Support Email. These fields will be mandatory when you complete your Account Information and will be used as the default information for the FROM email address
If you update this field, you will have the option to save the change for future new products OR apply the change immediately to all your existing products.
If you would like more information on DKIM and SPF, check out the Wikepedia pages on both these capabilities
software_DNA Windows DNA 5.02 client update is available for download from the DNA Control Panel.
This update includes support for 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
A server update was carried out without disruption to our ongoing services.
This hardware infrastructure update was carried out as part of our ongoing commitment to providing a secure and reliable cloud based licensing solution to software developers and their clients around the world.
As we approach our 10th year anniversary, we're proud to have so far activated and supported millions of licenses.