Last Modified September 16, 2022
- RESTful API
Using the software_DNA RESTful API
Use the DNA RESTful API to connect directly to software_DNA from your internal business processes.
With the API, you can directly retrieve and update information and settings of your licenses in software_DNA.
- Implement your own License Manager Portal
As an alternative to the softWORKZ hosted License Manager, the API allows you to design and host your own version
of a License Manager, tied into your other business processes, such as a Customer Service or Trouble Ticket system.
The Licenses API lets you authenticate a License, retrieve License details and
update several License parameters directly.
For more information on implementing your own License Manager,
see License Manager - hosted by you
When allowing your customers access to your own License Manager, always authenticate the End-User with
their License Password using the
Licenses Detail API
- Retrieve End-User Registration and Usage information
Licenses Detail API will return the last Info Tag received for the License.
InfoTags API to directly retrieve the history of InfoTags for the License
which can contain registration information, usage information, ... as set by your Application, and used by your internal
For more information on the InfoTag, see Info Tag
Making a API Call
To make a software_DNA RESTful API request, you use:
- one of the HTTP verbs allowed for the API (GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, DELETE)
- the URL of the software_DNA API:
- the URI to the target resource:
- a Basic Authentication Header to provide authentication information
- optional Query Paramenters for filtering the information provided in the Response
- optional JSON-based string in the body as required by the API
All API Responses will provide a JSON-based Response with:
- information on the requested resource, ex: License Detail, or
- a message indicating the type of error encountered
To protect the RESTful API interface, API Throttling is enforced for all your API Calls.
In every API Response, the following Header fields are set for your information :
||maximum number of API calls in period
||remaining number of API calls allowed in period
||number of seconds left in period
System-wide settings are:
Contact softWORKZ Tech Support for customized settings.
From the DNA Control Panel, view the RESTful API Resource page from Resources -> RESTful API, where
you will find:
- RESTful API Key
The API Key is used to authenticate your API calls to software_DNA.
You can reset this API Key anytime, but note that any API calls using the old API Key will be rejected.
- API Log
The Log shows the recent API calls, including info on the Request, the Result and the Response of the API.