Last Modified April 18, 2020
- Process Overview
Once a License Activation or Evaluation code has been successfully activated, the software can be re-installed
on the same
computer, or installed on any other computer, using the Re-Activation Process. To Re-activate the software, the user
must provide the following information:
- the License Activation Code
- If User Authentication is enabled for the Product, the current License Password
- If Roll-Over Re-activation is enabled for Single-User / Multi-Computer licenses,
a New and Never Used password (max 16 characters)
For the re-activation to be successful :
- the License Activation Code must be valid
- if used, the current Password must be valid
- if used, the new password must be "New and Never Used" (max 16 characters)
- this re-activation must not exceed the allowable number of re-activations as determined by the
Re-activation Lockout Settings (see below)
Re-activation Lockout and Settings for Single-User / Multi-Computer Licenses
The re-activation lockout settings allow a legitimate user to re-install the software on the same computer
or on a different computer a number of times within a given period of time. If this number is exceeded
( possible abuse or excessive re-installations), then the Re-activation Lockout will be triggered.
The Re-activation lockout will bar any new re-activations for a given period of time (the cooling period)
following the lockout. Once the lockout cooling period is finished, the counters are reset, and new
re-activations are again allowed.
For WEB Activation, re-activations on the same browser / device may be allowed - see our Web Activation implementation
Guides for details.
The re-activation lockout settings is the same for all License Activation and Evaluation Codes for a product and
is specified from the Product View screen.
The Re-activation Lockout settings include:
- the re-activation limit, the number of re-activations allowed in the re-activation lockout period
- the re-activation lockout period in days
- the re-activation lockout cooling period (in days) during which time no re-activations
are allowed. This will be triggered if the re-activation limit is exceeded during the re-activation
If a LIcense Activation or Evaluation Code is in Lockout mode, it can be reset from
the Code View screen for that License Code.
Our recommended settings are:
- Level 1 Validation/Protection : 2 re-activations in 90 days, 90 day cooling period
- Level 2 Validation/Protection : 2 re-activations in 60 days, 60 day cooling period
- Level 3 Validation/Protection : 2 re-activations in 30 days, 30 day cooling period
If you set your own setings from the Product View screen, the following constraints apply:
- Number of Re-activations must be from 1 to 5
- Number of days must be from 14 to 2000 days
- Cooling Period must be from 14 to 2000 days
Any changes will be applied to all the codes at the next Activation or re-activation.
You can also request a Custom setting by contacting our Technical Support.
Re-activation for Multi-User / Floating Licenses
For multi-user or Floating License codes, the 1st installation and activation of the License is considered an
Activation and is used to set the License Code password and License Code Email.
Any subsequent activation on another computer is considered a re-activation in software_DNA
although, from the user’s perspective, it would be presented as the activation of a new computer / seat.
For multi-user or Floating License codes, the Re-activation Lockout settings are not used. Unlimited re-activations are
allowed on the same computer. Re-activations on other computers is subject to the maximum
of the License Code.