The OffNet Activation requires release 5.10 or later of the DNA Libraries and DNA_INT files.
Offline and OffNet Activation
software_DNA offers two different processes for activating your Application on computers not connected to the Internet.
Make sure to read both the Offline and OffNet Activation articles before deciding on which process to use as the DNA Product
configuration and implementation are substantially different.
|Offline Activation - File based
Recommended for Products where a few Users are not connnected to the Internet
- User computers are generally connected to the Internet for Activation of the Application
- Users not connected to the Internet, have access to a computer with an Internet connection
- Users can copy small encrypted files to and from the non-connected computer and a connected computer using a
The Offline Activation process involves exchanging small encrypted license files to and from the non-connected computer and
retrieving a final CDM License File from a web-based portal.
|OffNet Activation - Key Based
Recommended for Products where Users do not or cannot have access to the Internet
- Users are in a restricted environment and computers cannot access the internet at any time for activation of the
- Users do not have access to another computer with an internet connection
- Users cannot copy small encrypted files to and from their computers
The OffNet Activation process involves exchanging small encrypted keys (10-20 characters) in order to complete
the Activation process. The exchange of keys can be done verbally between you and the User, via SMS,
or via a web-based portal on your website.
The OffNet Activation process is designed for "closed" or "restricted" environments where access to the
internet is not allowed or possible. Consideration should be given to defining two distinct Products in software_DNA, for example:
- a Product for Users who generally have access to the internet, and, on occasion, can use the Offline (File) Activation process
- a Product for Users who cannot access the internet at all and would use the OffNet (Key) Activation process
OffNet Activation Overview
The OffNet Activation Process allows users to activate the software without the need for an internet connection.
Typically, OffNet Activation is required for secure
organisations, or enterprises with policies that restrict internet connectivity and transfer of files to and from the computers.
The process includes the following steps:
The User creates a Request Key from the Application on the unconnected computer
using their License Activation Code.
The Request Key is a 10-20 character alphanumeric string.
The User communicates the Request Key, a License Password and a License Email to you, either verbally, via email,
or via your web-site (see below). Both the License Password and Email are optional, although recommended
A Confirmation Key is created:
by you from the DNA Control Panel, via the OffNet Activation screen
by the User, using your web-site that issues a API POST to the DNA Servers to retrieve the Confirmation Key
The User enters the Confirmation Key in the Application on the unconnected computer, and the License will be
locked and activated on the computer.
The software can now be run on the unconnected computer
Each activation or re-activation using the OffNet Activation process will take a Computer or Seat from
the License, whether or not
it is an activation or re-activation on the same computer.
If the User exceeds the License limit of computers or seats due to re-activations, you can delete them
from the Code View screen for that License.
For detailed implementation information, see:
- our OffNet How to Guide in the Guides section (requires a DNA Control Panel account).
- our fully annotated source code samples (HelloWorld OffNet) showing the OffNet Activation process are available
in the DNA Control Panel
under Resources -> Code Samples.
Licensing features supported by OffNet Activation
With the objective of keeping the Request and Confirmation Keys to a manageable length and allow them to be exchanged
verbally, not all the licensing features are available with OffNet Activation.
Features that are supported include:
- Perpetual Licenses, including Single-User / Multi-Computer and Multi-User Licenses without Roll-Over Re-activation
- Timed Licenses that include an Expiration Period
- Evaluation Licenses that include an Expiration Period
- Use of the <License_data> custom field, although it is recommended to keep it short as it will increase the length
of the Confirmation Key. We recommend a maximum of 4 characters.
Licenses generated through the OffNet Activation process will use Level 1 Validation as no Internet connection is available.
The Licenses are locked to the unconnected computer and are secure.
The DNA Product using OffNet Activation can use any Validation Level for licenses generated with an internet connection.
OffNet Code Sample Screen Shots
Start of OffNet Activation application dialog box
Capturing the Confirmation Key for OffNet Activation
Setting up your OffNet Activation web portal
The OffNet Activation Portal is really a simple web-based input form available to your Users on your web site to allow them
to complete the OffNet Activation without your intervention. It does require that the User have some access to the internet outside
the "secured" environment, for example, using a mobile phone.
Example of a OffNet Activation web page form
Once the User enters their information and clicks on Get Confirmation Key,
your web page will need to issue a HTTPS POST command to the DNA DIRECT Connector.
For detailed implementation information, see:
Examples of Request and Confirmation Keys
Request and Confirmation Keys will typically be 10-20 alphanumeric characters