Your Users will greatly appreciate access to a User License Portal where
they are able to recover their License Activation Code or their License Password, and manage some of their License
entitlements themselves and at their convenience.
A side benefit to you is reducing the number of Support calls or emails.
You can offer a License Portal as follows:
|Hosted by you
Using the software_DNA RESTful API interface, you can implement a complete License Portal
integrated into your web site and tied into your store-front and back-end business processes.
See below for more information on implementation.
|Hosted by softWORKZ
We provide a complete License Portal implementation on our web site, accessible by all
your Users, in two forms:
- Generic myLicense Portal
- softWORKZ branded myLicense Portal
You can also use your own CSS file to customize the softWORKZ hosted portal.
For more information on this option see
myLicense Portal - hosted by softWORKZ
Implementing a License Portal with RESTful API
The following is a high-level overview of the implementation steps and logic flows recommended for a
License Portal which includes a Login Page and a License Display page. For details on exact syntax and use of the RESTful API, see
A complete implementation example in C#.NET is available - see below for download link and screen shots.
In the LOGIN page
- capture the License Code and the
License Password from the User
- perform a
POST License Details with the License Code and License Password
- if valid (200 OK), the Response contains the License Details in JSON format
- if not valid (4xx), inform the User to review login credentials
In the License DISPLAY page
- display information on the License, and all the activated Devices
- display buttons to allow the User to change the License Email, the License Password
- implement additional pages to capture updates to the above
- perform the required API calls, such as:
- PATCH Licenses Update to update the License Email
- POST Licenses Password to update the License Password
Password Recovery on LOGIN Page
The RESTful API supports a Password Recovery process for Users who have forgotten their License
- User initiates the process that generates a Password Reset code which is sent to the License Email
- User then enters the Password Reset Code, and a New Password to complete the recovery
- a Forgot Password button on the LOGIN page
- a new screen to capture the License Code and issuing the
POST Licenses Password Recovery API call
- a new screen to capture the License Code, Password Reset Code and New Password, and issuing the
POST Licenses Password Update API call
DELETE Device on DISPLAY page
For DNA Products that use Level 3 Validation (Mandatory Validation), you can allow Users to de-activate devices
from their License. Note that you must also turn on the myLicense Seat Delete option for the product.
Licenses that have been activated using Offline or OffNet activation should not be allowed
to delete devices as these licenses would never be updated. The License JSON information includes a flag
<OfflineActivation> to signal this.
- in the License Display page, when listing active devices, add a Delete or
- when clicked, issue the
Licenses Delete Device API call with the device’s
<machineID> provided in the Licenses Detail information
- we recommend that you implement a Confirm pop-up before removing the device
- refresh the DISPLAY page with a new
POST License Details API call
Supporting Multi-User / Floating Licenses with Seats > 1
Multi-User and Floating licenses (with Seats > 1) add a License Admin Password to allow the License Admnistrator to
manage the License. The License Administrator is the first User to activate the License on behalf of all the other
Users of the Multi-User License.
On the 1st Activation, a License Portal Confirmation Key is sent to the License Email. This License
Key is then used in the License Portal to set the License Admin Password used when accessing the Portal.
Multi-User / Floating Licenses with Seat = 1 are treated like Single-User licenses, and do not need an Admin Password.
To support Multi-User / Floating licenses in a License Portal:
- after the LOGIN page and retrieving the License information, check the
false, add a screen to capture the License Portal Confirmation Key and a new License Admin Password
and issue the
POST Licenses Password Update API call
true, add a screen to capture the License Admin Password and
POST Licenses Validate Admin Pass API call
- display the License information
- add a Update License Admin Password button, and an additional screen to allow the Administrator to
change the License Admin Password
To allow the Administrator to recover the License Admin Password:
- in the screen for capturing the License Admin Password, add a Recover Password button
- use the
POST Licenses Password Recovery API call to trigger the sending of a
Admin Password Reset Code
- add a screen to allow the User to enter the Admin Password Reset Code and a new License Admin Password
- use the
POST Licenses Password Update API call to update the License Admin Password
A License Portal Demo
For a complete implementation example in C#.NET, you can download the following code sample and use as is, or as a
guide for your implementation:
C#.NET License Portal Demo
You can try the License Portal Demo here:
License Portal Demo .
Use a License Code from the RAPID P0002964 Demo Product that you can get
from the Resources -> Code Samples page of the DNA Control Panel.
Screenshots of the License Portal Demo